GCSE Travel & Tourism Course
This IGCSE Travel & Tourism qualification will provide you with a broad introduction to the key components of travel and tourism, giving you:
- understanding of the travel and tourism industry
- theoretical knowledge of the industry and related sectors, including knowledge of travel and tourism products and services, the infrastructure on which they depend and the transport system needed to operate them
- practical ability in a range of skills and procedures related to working in the travel and tourism industry, including knowledge of the essential personal and professional skills required by individuals working in the service sector
- critical awareness of the physical, social and economic environments in which travel and tourism takes place, including understanding of the global, regional and local perspectives of travel and tourism.
This home learning IGCSE Travel & Tourism course is designed to help meet the growing need for well qualified and knowledgeable people who want a career in the Travel and Tourism industry.
Please Note: This course is only available via the online study method.
The travel and tourism industry
- 1.1 - Understand and explain the structure of the international travel and tourism industry
- 1.2 - Investigate the social, cultural, economic and environmental impact of travel and tourism
- 1.3 - Identify the role of national governments in forming tourism policy and promotion
- 1.4 - Investigate the patterns of demand for international travel and tourism
Features of worldwide destinations
- 2.1 Demonstrate knowledge of the main global features
- 2.2 - Demonstrate awareness of different time zones and climate
- 2.3 - Investigate travel and tourism destinations
- 2.4 - Identify and describe the features which attract tourists to a particular destination
Customer care and working procedures
- 3.1 – Deal with customers and colleagues
- 3.2 Identify the essential personal skills required when working in the travel and tourism industry
- 3.3 Follow basic procedures when handling enquiries, making reservations and receiving money
- 3.4 Use reference sources to obtain information
- 3.5 – Explore presentation and promotion of tourist facilities
Travel and tourism products and services
- 4.1 Identify and describe tourism products
- 4.2 Explore the roles of tour operators and travel agents
- 4.3 Describe support facilities for travel and tourism
- 4.4 Explore the features of worldwide transport in relation to major international routes
Example exam question for units 1 - 4
The Role and Function of Marketing and Promotion In Travel and Tourism
- 5.1 - Role and Function of Marketing and Promotion
- 5.2 – Market segmentation and targeting
- 5.3 – Product as part of the marketing mix
- 5.4 Price as part of the marketing mix
- 5.5 – Place as part of the marketing mix
- 5.6 – Promotion as part of the marketing mix
Example exam question for unit 5
What will be in the examinations?
If you have looked at the full specification on the Cambridge website, you will have noticed that there are various options including coursework. We will be preparing you only for the examinations options. No coursework is required.
The papers have the following structure:
- Paper 1: This comprises four scenario-based questions which require candidates to provide short answers (60% of total marks). This exam is largely based on Units 1-4 of the travel and tourism syllabus.
- Paper 2: This comprises scenario-based questions requiring short answers and is primarily based on Unit 5 – Marketing and Promotion (40% of total marks).
Where do I sit my examinations?
Students are reminded that it is their responsibility to find and register with a centre to take the examinations. We cannot take any responsibility for this.
The following is a list provided by Cambridge on their website:
This is only an approximate figure and is dependant upon how much time you can dedicate to your studies and how well you grasp the learning concepts in the course material. Furthermore, at the end of each lesson there is a question paper that needs to be completed and returned to your tutor. You should allow at least 1 - 2 hours of study to complete each question paper.
The approximate amount of time required to complete the course is: 300 hrs.
Qualification: IGCSE Travel and Tourism
On successful completion of this course you will need to book your own examinations at a local school or college. Upon completion of this, you will receive a IGCSE in Travel and Tourism from Cambridge International Examinations. Both the course and examinations must be successfully completed to gain the IGCSE. Cambridge IGCSE Travel and Tourism Syllabus code: 0471. Students will need to book and pay for these exams themselves.
Cambridge International Examinations is the world’s largest provider of international education programmes and qualifications for 5 to 19 year olds.
It is a division of Cambridge Assessment, a department of the University of Cambridge and a not-for-profit organisation. It invests constantly in research and development to improve its programmes and qualifications.
Cambridge International Examinations is recognised by the Office of Qualifications and Examinations Regulation (Ofqual) – the regulator of examinations in England – to award qualifications. This means you can be sure its assessments and qualifications are monitored and meet appropriate standards. Cambridge International Examinations works closely with Ofqual to maintain its recognised status.
For more information visit http://www.cie.org.uk/programmes-and-qualifications/.
Requirements for Entry
There is no experience or previous qualifications required for enrolment on this course.
On completion of this course you will be eligible to join the following Professional Associations(s):
Anyone who is studying for or has completed a course endorsed by an Ofqual approved awarding body is eligible to join Qualifications Register. The Qualifications Register (QR) is an independent register that aims to serve both members of the public and those professionals who hold recognised qualifications.
QR's primary aim is to provide transparency to members of the public and employers. The QR is a searchable database that allows them to find a practitioner and view the relevant qualification and endorsements the practitioner holds. The member of the public is then able to make an informed decision in relation to the suitability of the practitioner. QR also tracks whether practitioners have insurance, again something that is useful for members of the public. QR can also help professionals gain insurance or find professional indemnity cover. Click here to find out more.
Members of the public can check an independent source with complete confidence that the practitioner has the qualification(s) they claim to have and that any additional CPD the practitioner has, is verified and quality assured to make sure that the CPD is being done on a regular basis. QR tracks a practitioners endorsed CPD (in unison with our CPD accreditation partner Lifetime Awarding) and other key signals to help members of the public and employers to come to a more informed decision about the professional they intend to use. This is an enormously valuable signal that's increasingly important as business becomes more deregulated and privatised.
For practitioners QR helps you market your skills, endorsements and feedback transparently to a wider audience. It also gives you access to a community to help make you more able to progress and succeed in your field of expertise. Click hereto find out more.
Cambridge International Examinations
Cambridge International Examinations (CIE) is the world’s largest provider of international education programmes and qualifications for 5 to 19 year olds.
It is a division of Cambridge Assessment, a department of the University of Cambridge and a not-for-profit organisation. CIE invest constantly in research and development to improve their programmes and qualifications.
Cambridge International Examinations is recognised by the Office of Qualifications and Examinations Regulation (Ofqual) – the regulator of examinations in England – to award qualifications. This means you can be sure their assessments and qualifications are monitored and meet appropriate standards. CIE works closely with Ofqual to maintain its recognised status.
CIE's mission is to deliver world-class international education through the provision of high-quality curricula, assessments and services.
Together with schools it aims to develop learners who are confident, responsible, reflective, innovative and engaged – equipped for success in the fast-changing modern world.
This course can be taken over a 12 month period but you can complete it as fast or as slowly as you wish.
You will have access to a tutor via email who will mark your work and guide you through the course to help you be ready for your examinations. In addition you will be supplied with a comprehensive Study Guide which will help you through the study and assessment process.
- The course comes to you as a proper paper-based pack, not as an electronic password
- You will get full tutor support via email
- You will receive feedback on your assignments from our experienced tutors
- You will be given guidance through the Study Guide on the nuts and bolts of studying and submitting assignments
- Postal assignments cannot be accepted without prior permission from the tutor
- You must have access to email in order to contact your tutor
With this course you will have unlimited access to your own personal tutor who specialises in their field of study. It is your personal tutor's role to ensure that you receive constructive feedback and to deal with any queries you may have. You are more than welcome to telephone, fax or email your personal tutor.
You will also have access to a dedicated and friendly team of administrators and course advisors who offer sound and professional guidance and advice when you need it. This ensures that you will never feel neglected and that you will alwayssucceed!
After each lesson there will be a question paper, which needs to be completed and submitted to your personal tutor for marking. This method of continual assessment ensures that your personal tutor can consistently monitor your progress and provide you with assistance throughout the duration of the course.